How to Start a Holistic Health Business
Are you interested in starting a business in the field of holistic health but aren’t sure how to begin? Whether it’s a life-long dream or a recently discovered aspiration, holistic health offers excellent opportunities for you to be a small business owner.
Equip yourself with the proper planning tools to start a business in the wellness industry and help people today. Start a holistic health business by following these guidelines.
Find your focus
Knowing your interests and recognizing your strengths are the most critical factors in choosing a good health and wellness business direction. If you have a clear vision of what you want to create, then you are ahead of the process, but if you’re on the fence, assess the following:
- Who are you, and what inspires you?
- What holes exist in the market?
- How much competition will you encounter?
Define who you are as an entrepreneur
As a small business owner, you need passion, grit, and self-confidence. If you have an entrepreneurial spirit and are ready to enter the world of holistic health, begin by identifying where you fall on the following entrepreneur spectrum:
- Innovators develop new ideas and turn them into a viable business–vision is their driving force.
- Hustlers start small, roll up their sleeves, and put in a lot of hard work to grow their company.
- Imitators copy existing business ideas and work to improve them.
- Researchers depend on investigation and analysis when deciding on a niche.
- Buyers have the financial resources to buy existing businesses that show promise.
You may fall into more than one category; use them as a guide in determining your business choice. Also, the following considerations will help you discover your strengths and desires:
- What’s your ideal situation?
- How much money do you want to make?
- Do you want to work with clients or sell products?
- Do you want to work online or in-person, or both?
- What are your long-term goals for your business?
Find your holistic wellness niche
The objection of holistic health is to treat the entire person – mind, body, and spirit. The broad scope of purpose gives you many health and wellness business options. Narrow your choices by considering your passion and expertise. Then decide between a product-based and service-based business.
Shop the competition
You have the education, expertise, and experience to start a holistic health business. Now it’s time to research the competition. Exploring the competition will help you determine how to set yourself apart and fill a hole in the marketplace.
Methods of exploring the competition:
- Visit in person
- Call the company
- Audit their website
- Use their services
- Follow them on social media
Areas to investigate when exploring the competition:
- Social media content
- Customer reviews
- Services or products offered
Organizing a holistic business in today’s environment
After brainstorming ideas and finding your niche, it’s time for the ‘business’ part of starting your business. Make decisions and take the right steps early so you can save time and money later.
Set-up the operation
- Build a strategic business plan that addresses key factors such as company name, information on the business, market analysis, and financial perspectives, including start-up costs.
- Choose a legal business structure. “Your business structure affects how much you pay in taxes, your ability to raise money, the paperwork you need to file, and your personal liability,” according to the US Small Business Association.
- Other items to address: Apply for business licenses if required, insure your business, and open a business bank account.
Embrace the benefits of technology
Starting a business takes a lot of blood, sweat, and tears but don’t just work hard; work smart. Include technology in your business practice to increase efficiency and productivity. Consider the following ways to implement these practices, even for tech-challenged owners:
- Information technology: Managing your technological infrastructure can be a full-time job. Employing an outside company to set-up and maintain your network, equipment, and cybersecurity can save you much needed time.
- Website: If your website is mediocre, your business will suffer. Set up a DIY website or hire design professionals for a unique site.
- Email is a cost-effective and easy way to deliver original content and build brand awareness. DIY or hire a web-based email marketing company.
- Social media and online ads are the most effective methods for generating traffic and brand awareness. Start by setting up profiles and launching a Google Adwords campaign.
- Accounting: Keep your books organized and updated by using small business accounting software like Quickbooks or Freshbooks.
Design a financial growth plan for your holistic business
A critical part of business success or failure is a budget forecast. As a holistic health business owner, you should make enough to pay yourself a salary and earn additional profits that you can use to invest in growing your business.
Your financial plan should include outlining your:
- Desired salary
- Operation costs
- Price of your product/Service
- How many services/product you will need to sell to reach your expected revenue
- Content marketing plan
- Social media plan
Cover the marketing basics
Marketing your wellness business is key to securing new clients, clinching referrals, and developing brand recognition. Successful marketing can reinforce financial stability and business growth.
Identify your ideal customer
The foundation of your marketing strategy starts with accurately defining your target market. This involves understanding who your optimal customers are, who your competitors are, and the core pain points your service or product solves.
Keep your brand consistent
Brand identity’s quality and consistency play a massive role in being recognized and remembered by your existing and potential customers. You want to be easily identified across social media channels while staying true to your holistic ideals.
Avoid profiles with mismatched logos or blurry and improperly sized photos. Take the extra time to create homogenous brand images and optimize pictures specifically for each network.
Formulate a social media presence
With 233 million American users, social media is a proven content marketing outlet for small businesses. Recommendations from family and friends are trusted by 92% of customers, making them the easiest and most economical way of building a following. Then, increase your audience and expand your reach over time.
Embrace your community
Do what you love, harness your enthusiasm, and you are on the way to becoming a successful holistic health company. Your business can benefit from cultivating relationships with people in your community. Some ways to engage in your city:
- Network with owners of local health food stores and health clubs
- Join a yoga group or aerobics class
- Enroll in local business association memberships
- Get involved with farmer’s markets and fairs.
Build a following by creating meaningful content
Although you want to present expertise in the field of holistic health, you don’t want to bombard your audience with content solely revolving around your business. Self-centered sales and blatant advertisements will drive your customers away.
Instead, think about what your audience wants and about the things that move you. The most valuable content does the following:
Teach your audience relevant lessons
For many people, a healthy lifestyle is a non-stop journey to exercise, eat right, and detox in addition to stressing less and sleeping more. Making drastic lifestyle adjustments and changing routines can be an overwhelming prospect, especially with so much conflicting information.
Utilize your social media channels to educate your audience using the following tactics:
- Health minded how-to’s and guides
Use humor when reaching out to your customer base
You can entertain an audience using several methods. Viral jokes aren’t the only way to amuse the masses. Try the following techniques:
- Top ten lists of prevention and wellness tips.
- Quizzes and Trivia games are good workouts for the brain.
- Memes carry viral power and are easy to make and share on social media.
Move clients to action with inspiration
The distinction between having a desire to be healthy, and taking action to get healthy, is inspiration. Standout by setting yourself up as a source of inspiration. Timeless motivational quotes over captivating visuals will increase your reach with likes and shares. Transform case studies into inspirational success stories and compelling testimonials.
Bring your holistic health business to life today
Don’t let the discomfort of self-promotion or fear of failure stop you from following your passion. You don’t need to have it all figured out. Don’t look at it as a giant leap, just one small step, followed by another.